We all debate whether we should go away to college or we should stay at home and go to a community college. Everyone is different and likes different things so you can’t always take someone else’s advice and expect to like and dislike the same things. One may say going away to college is the best thing and others may hate it. If you are a college student that went away to college this year and you’re already homesick, you’re not alone. Many college students get homesick their first year at college. So what can you do to cure your homesickness? There are many things you can do, check out some of the ideas below:
- Make a schedule – When you’re in college you are most likely very busy. If you’re not and you find alot of free time, make a busy schedule for yourself. Whether you do homework on these days, work on these days, and do your favorite hobbies on another day you will feel much better. If you’re couped up in your dorm room, and college is completely foreign to you, you need to still do the things you love. You don’t want college to stress you out already, so keep doing what you love and keep a busy schedule for yourself.
- Make a phone call – Make sure you still keep in contact even if you are away at school. It seems hard to do, but just pick a time and a day to contact people. Say your best friend has Wednesday off and it’s their free day, give them a call and keep in touch. Or maybe your parents are free after 6 o’clock when they’re out of work, give them a call. Pick up the phone and keep in contact with your family and friends!
- Write letters – Whether you are e-mailing or writing an actual letter to mail do it! Mail is always fun to get and it gives you something to do. Writing letters/e-mails is a great way to keep in touch if you don’t like talking on the phone.
- Have someone visit you – If your friends aren’t going to the same college as you, have them visit you. Heck, have your family members that you’re close with come up also for the day too. This is a great trip for them, and great company for you! Now when you tell stories to your friends about college they will have a better idea when it comes to picturing things.
- Make your dormroom like home – Try bringing some of your prized possessions from home to your dorm room. Keep your dorm room looking as close to home as you can make it. A homey atmosphere will help cure your homesickness.
- Photos – Take a ton of your pictures from home or take a ton when you go home. Pictures of your favorite things will make you happy. Take pictures of your pets, friends, family, favorite places by home and everything you like. Also try hanging them on your walls if they are good pictures!
- Join a club – Joining a club in college is the best way to make friends. They are a great opportunity to get out of your dorm, take a break from homework and get out and have fun. Making friends at a club will make is a lot easier because you will see them a lot more often than your friends at home.
There are many things you can do if you get homesick easily. Don’t feel like you’re the only one because you’re not. Consider some of the points above and make your college years more enjoyable!