Many times you want to borrow money to get a better car or perhaps you are now plan on getting married but your line of credit is lousy. You had some problems in the past paying off your credit cards because where you work was slow and you had to make a few late payments. When you are married you are wondering if you will be able to take out a mortgage for a new home or even rent a suitable apartment. Your credit line might be unstable at best and the uncertainty is haunting you. What should you do? Your line of credit is very important so you need to know how you stand and what to do to fix it.
Checking out your credit information
One of the first things that you need to do is check out your credit scores at the three credit bureaus that keep track of all the information. You can ask for your credit report and check it for important information to make sure that it is correct.
• Make sure that your name is correct and spelled correctly.
• Make sure that any address’s listed for you is correct.
• Make sure that your social security number is correct.
• Make sure that you’re Drivers License and/or ID that is state issued is correct.
• Make sure that your birthday is correct.
• Make sure that your marital status is correct or anyone whom you lived with or had credit with information is suppose to be listed and it is correct.
Checking out your actual credit history
• Check out any credit cards that you might have used to make sure that an accurate record of your pay history is listed.
• Check out to make sure that any credit that you might have gotten from local business’s is correctly listed and your pay history.
• If you did make your payments and they are not duly noted then make sure that some sort of notation is put onto your account.
Fixing Your Credit Line
If you find that there are problems concerning your information you should immediately fix the problem. Do not let misinformation stay on your records. Make sure that you write letters to the reporting bureaus explaining the problems and if necessary make copies of documents that will prove that their information is listed wrong. You might need to copy your birth certificate or driver’s license in order to prove that you are you. The wrong number on a document can instantly cause a bad report that will harm your credit. When you have all your information correct gives the bureaus thirty days to fix the problems and change your credit score.