We all know college costs a fortune. From books, to classes, room and board, and everything else under the sun, college will leave you spending more money than you may have imagined. To save money when in college there are a few things you can do to make sure you aren’t throwing away your moeny. Consider some of the things below and get the most out of college.
- Skipping/missing class. This is one of the biggest mistakes you can make when it comes to college. Some college classes cost thousands of dollars so why wouldn’t you want to get every penny out of it? Many students often skip class to hang out with friends, sleep in, and just have the excuse like “I just didn’t feel like it today.” We’ve all heard those excuses before at some point. This is one of the most costly mistakes you can make because the more class you miss the more you’re missing out on and the higher the chance that you’re going to fail.
- Failing class. It seems like almost every student either gets a very low grade or fails a class at least once when in college. This is a very very costly mistake. If you are serious about college you do not want to allow yourself to get low grades. If it is a class you need just think about having to pay for the class two times. This not only causes a ton of stress, but a ton of money and a ton of wasted time.
- Too much $ for textbooks. Students are spending too much on textbooks. You want to make sure you buy your books online and to buy used books. You won’t believe how much money you’ll save. You can usually get the books for at least 30%-50% cheaper on the Internet.
- Taking classes you don’t need. You never want to take classes you don’t need. Not only does this waste time it wastes a ton of money. To avoid taking classes you don’t need I suggest you see an advisor right when you sign up for college.
- Withdrawing from class. Students often find themselves getting a low grade in the end of the class. Since they have a low grade they will want to drop the class so it doesn’t affect their GPA. Yes this is smart, but you should never of let it get that low in the first place. Now when you are able to withdraw at this point you are still going to have to cover the total cost of the class. Just because you withdrew from the class doesn’t mean you get money back.
- Dropping out of college. This is the ultimate mistake that a college student can do. At this point they have already taken classes and spent probably a ton of money. What was the point of going in the first place? If you’re going to go to college make sure you stick with it! You will be so grateful that you did and miserable that you didn’t.
There are many ways students can waste money in college. To avoid making the mistakes the majority of students do at some point, consider all the points above. Study hard, get book for cheap, go to class and you will be just fine! Good luck!