When you arrive to your college dorm room for the first time, you’re soon going to find out that the room isn’t that big. Instead, you’re going to find that your room is the size of a closet! Since you’re literally going to have to bring everything from home, you will need to find some creative ideas when it comes down to dorm room storage.
I wanted to give you some tips on which I will list below on how you can make storage work for your dorm room. By following these tips, you should be able to maximize your space in your dorm room.
- #1 Consider underbed storage: These types of boxes are great for those that have beds in your dorm room, where you can throw things under it. This is where you will want to capitalize on space. Instead of throwing things under there and have them collect cobwebs, why not get nice boxes that will cost you no more than $20?
- #2 Think about your walls: Your room is going to have walls and what you can do is either consider getting a slim custom made closet, or even put up shelves. You’re going to want to make sure that you refer to college’s rule when it comes to hanging things up, as some schools are fairly strict with this.
- #3 Watch what you bring: It’s tempting to bring your whole house when you first arrive on college. What you’re going to find out for the first time is that you should have kept some things at home. I would only bring the things that you truly need. Also, be sure to talk with your roommate when it comes to bigger items, because you don’t want to have 2 TVs, etc.
- #4 Look behind the door: This is another spot that many people don’t take advantage of, just like the bed. There are some great over the door, as well as shelves that you can put behind your door. While it’s not going to give you the most space in the world, it will allow you to store a few extra items.
- #5 Organizers for a closet: Some dorm rooms are going to have closets, while others won’t. This is why you will always want to take a tour of your school before you set out to purchase things. If your dorm has a closet, this is great news, as you will want to take full advantage. Look for closet organizers that will give you even more space.
These 5 tips should give you more than enough storage. What you’re going to want to do is consider your dorm layout and just be creative. Sneak a peek at other dorm rooms in your school to see how people do it. You can also view photos online as well.